Get to Know the Coach:
- The AAU does not select coaches for your athlete or place athletes on a team or club. This is the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
- Ask for resume of coaching history and local references for the coach.
- Spend some time with the coach/club director before you make your decision.
- Talk to the coach about their philosophy on playing time, skill development, club structure (such as are they a recreationally based club or an all star/elite/travel club).
Know & Understand what you are paying for:
- Ask the coach/club for a breakdown of what the club fees are paying for.
- Hold them accountable for the line items listed on the budget through the season.
- Check in throughout the season to make sure money is being spent properly.
- Find out how much the tournament/event fees are for your team/athlete.
Research the Club's History:
- Review the club website, if available.
- How many years has it been in existence?
- How is the record of credibility and reliability?
- Do they have a positive history in different areas?: Do they have good relationships with parents/athletes, tournament directors, community facility owners, area schools, etc. Do they have a good financial history?
- AAU does not have any authority over club tryouts, how athletes are selected to participate on a club/team, how athletes are placed on a club/team, or playing time. Please discuss individually with the coach their intentions for your athlete and make sure it fits what your goals are for your athlete.
IMPORTANT - Every club is its own separate entity. They DO NOT have the right to speak for the AAU National Headquarters. No club (whether it is a registered club within the AAU) is an agent and/or an employee of the AAU.
Proof of Membership:
- Ask to see a copy of their AAU Club membership to verify if they are members of the AAU.
- Ask to see a copy of their AAU non-athlete memberships for the club contact and coaches to verify if they are members of the AAU.
- All non athlete memberships and adult athletes go through a background check through the AAU membership process.
- Ask for a copy of your athlete’s membership card if the club/coach purchased it for you, or verify the purchased through the Membership Look-Up.
AAU memberships vs the cost of the team/league:
- Clubs set up their own fees, schedules, rules/regulations, etc.
- AAU membership is ONLY $14.00 or $16.00 and should be purchased by the parent to ensure that their child has a valid AAU membership.
- Every club is its own separate entity and each club may have a different price structure based on what they are providing your athlete. It is important to ask as many questions as possible to ensure the club you are looking at is the right one for your athlete
Research the Club's Timeline/Tournament Schedule:
- Are they organized and consistent with how they do things?
- Do they plan ahead of time?
- Are all expenses listed and told to parents/guardians up front?
- Are they responsible with how they manage club finances, tournament/event schedule, practice plans, etc?
If there are any other questions or concerns, please call 407-934-7200 and ask to speak to someone in your child's specific sport.